As our sermon series, “Every Step Counts,” continues to emphasize the theme of journeys of faith, Grace Beyond has become a significant, real-life journey where we are seeing God bring to life the promises of Hebrews.
Today we want to share the latest details of how God is providing for our church as we take steps of faith related to the building project.
During the initial construction phase of the Grace Beyond project, there will be a period of approximately seven months when we will be unable to occupy a significant portion of our building, including the Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall.
As announced on Sunday, we have an agreement in principle with Calvin College to use the Spoelhof Fieldhouse Complex for our Sunday morning worship services during this time.
Sunday morning worship will continue to be the most important aspect of what we do as a church. The leadership is prayerfully considering whether to hold one or two services at the Calvin facility, and this may vary in the summer and fall. The arena can be set up with chairs and individual seating to accommodate us in a worshipful atmosphere. In addition, the facility has parking and additional classroom space for our use as well. Calvin has warmly welcomed us and we look forward to partnering with them.
While we rejoice over the provision of Calvin, there are still some significant logistical details to work out regarding our ministry programming. Most of these details are not yet finalized. The following ministry updates reflect what we know so far:
Sunday Evening Services
- On hiatus June 2015-January 2016
- Praise band, choir, and orchestra will remain an important part of our services
- Festival of Lights on hiatus for 2015
- Developing a task force to help with Adult Sunday Class needs throughout the building process
- Discussing Monday Night Bible Study options
- Will continue to provide support for community groups
- The Gathering Place Study not meeting next year (September 2015-May 2016).
- Training and support scheduled this spring to help women start neighborhood and workplace Bible Studies in Fall 2015
- Planning several events for women to connect and be encouraged
- Young Adult Ministry communities not significantly impacted
- Prayerfully considering how to minister to Calvin students
- UNITED (High School Ministry) will continue to meet on Sunday nights; details pending
- Middle School Ministry prayerfully considering meeting options for Summer and Fall 2015
- CSI, annual Summer Science Camp in June, on hiatus for 2015
- Wednesday night programming options currently under discussion
- Sunday morning classes being finalized for Summer and Fall 2015
- Commitment to outreach is unchanged
- Initiatives, including Neighbors International, short-term mission trips and community engagement will continue
- Working to ensure congregation stays connected to our 49 missionary families and individuals
- OASIS, Wednesday Morning Bible Study, will continue to meet at church
- Other activities continue to be finalized
- Pastoral Care will continue operating in the Yellow House during construction
- Arrangements have been made with other facilities to hold weddings and funerals
- Children who participate in Calvary Kids or Middle School Ministry will continue with inclusion
- Details for self-contained classrooms are still in discussion
- Go Getters adult class will worship with the congregation on Sunday mornings, Wednesday night programming still in discussion
If you have any questions, please contact the church office and they will assist you with as much information as we have at this time. In addition, you can contact me at with any questions.