The answer is YES! There are opportunities here in Grand Rapids, opportunities around the world, and opportunities to lift up our missionaries in prayer. Here are just a few:
Opportunities in Grand Rapids:
- Alpha Women’s Center of Grand Rapids is hosting Walk for Life 2015 on the campus of Cornerstone University, Saturday morning, May 16. You can be part of this fun and rewarding opportunity to bless one of Calvary’s community ministry partners. For more information and to register click here.
- A Calvary High School student, Isaac Mangione, is baking and decorating gourmet cakes for missions! If you’d like to be part of his 100 Cake Journey, you can order – or purchase a premade cake if one is available – by contacting him on All proceeds from cake sales go to missions. When you order, ask Isaac about the work his brother, sister-in-law, and sister do with SOAR International Ministries to equip and empower Russian churches to reach their nation.
- Kids’ Life Bible Clubs needs your help. This ministry, right here in the West Michigan area, offers after-school Bible clubs in numerous public elementary schools. They are looking for a volunteer who is proficient in Quick Books to spend about two hours a week handling their financial records. Additionally, over the summer, they have lots of opportunities for volunteers to prepare and assemble materials for the coming fall clubs. Spend a morning – or join them once a week! If you are interested, please contact Chris Ham at 616-455-2490 or e-mail her.
Opportunities around the world:
- Among Calvary’s newest missionaries are Jason and Jamie. Having finished French language studies, they are moving this summer to a secure location in Central Africa. They have four school age children and are looking for someone willing to join them for 9-12 months to help coordinate homeschooling while Jamie studies the local language. Contact the Missions and Outreach office to get in touch with them for details.
- Several of the international schools in areas where Calvary missionaries and friends serve are always looking for teachers to come for a school year or longer. Three that you can contact if you’re interested are:
- Hinkson Academy in Moscow, Russia
- Hope Academy in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- Tien Shan International School in Almaty, Kazakhstan
- If you are a college student, planning to graduate in 2016, or a recent graduate, there are an internship opportunities for the summer of 2016 in Business-as-Mission (BAM) in Central Asia. Each intern will get to serve as a volunteer in an existing BAM infrastructure, learn from others in the country doing BAM & tent-making and learn how to interconnect ones vocation strategically with disciple making and church planting efforts. For more information click here.
Opportunities to pray:
Our missionary Denise in Odessa, Ukraine, has asked Calvary Church to pray this weekend for peace in her city. This Saturday marks the one year anniversary when the firing in Odessa broke out and 48 people died. Lots of people think there may be clashes in Odessa from now until May 10. Please continue to pray for peace in all of Ukraine.
Bring your lunch and join others every third Monday in room 207 in prayer for our missionaries. Sign up to receive missionary prayer requests weekly in your inbox. And don't forget each month to pick up a packet of prayer letters from the information desk.