One thing I love about my role in Missions and Outreach here at Calvary is that my inbox is always full of great opportunities to learn, grow and join God in mission – locally and around the globe. Here are some that I want to share with you:
- Be sure to join us the weekend of March 14-16 for our annual Calvary missions event, Together with Us. We will be learning from our guest speaker, Matt H., who – in addition to being a pastor in London – visits believers in persecuted situations to encourage them and help them plan to continue outreach, in spite of difficulty. You can read more about the events planned in our bulletin this coming Sunday, March 8. Remember to register for the Saturday morning Men’s Breakfast and the Monday prayer luncheon with our visiting missionaries at mycalvarygr.org.
- It is my prayer that our own missions event will simply be an appetizer for you. If so, the main course is offered at the West Michigan Missions Forum 2015, Saturday March 28, 8:00am-3:30pm, Kentwood Community Church. Area churches and mission leaders have joined together to bring you this informative and inspiring event. The keynote speaker is "Aaron", a follower of Christ who started life as one of twelve children from an impoverished Kenyan Muslim family. Despite persecution, "Aaron" has been relentless in sharing his joy and faith with others. Additionally, the forum offers practical workshops on a large number of topics for those who want to help equip their church, those who are a few steps down the road in ministry, those looking for personal direction in mission, and those looking for specific ministry strategies. For more information and to register (the price is just $20 if you register before March 20), see the official West Michigan Missions Forum website.
- Are you looking for something more practical – an actual way to be the hands, feet and voice of Jesus in our community? Alpha Women’s Center has many volunteer opportunities which open up from time to time. Volunteers can tutor women working on their GED, provide childcare, help cook lunch, lead group discussions, and offer mentoring. If you want more information, please contact Ruth Gillesse at or by calling (616) 459-9955 ext. 115.
- Or, you might just want to join Alpha at Cornerstone University on Saturday, May 16th, for their annual Walk for Life. It will be a fun morning of activities, snacks, and prizes, to benefit this amazing ministry that helps women choose life for their babies and then walks alongside them in the journey of parenthood. Save the date!
- Another one of Calvary’s valued partners in community ministry is CEF – Child Evangelism Fellowship. Their five day clubs – held in homes during the summer and taught by CEF-trained students – have brought the hope of the Gospel to countless children over the years. This year, you can host a five day club for your neighborhood the week of June 29. Their summer missionaries, who will have just completed their CYIA (Christian Youth in Action) training, will be excited to teach clubs in Kent and Ottawa counties. The clubs will be held 2:00-3:30 p.m. and two teens will teach each club, free of charge. Sign up today to host a club and make a difference in the lives of boys and girls! Call CEF at 616-530-8026 (Kent) or 616-748-6026 (Ottawa).