Friday, May 29: Departure
“the Lord himself goes before you and will be with you, he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” (Deuteronomy 31:8).
- For God to continue to prepare our hearts, minds, and attitudes for the days ahead
- For heightened sensitivity to the Spirit and obedience to His leading throughout the trip
- That we will be light and glorify Jesus in all of our conduct and interactions during travel
- For flights and connections to be uneventful and to go smoothly
- For safe and timely arrival of baggage
- For good deep rest on our way
Saturday, May 30:
Flight Connections in France and Arrival in Tunisia
“The LORD will keep you from all harm – he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” (Psalm 121:7-8).
- That we’ll connect with Roy on our flights, and with our guide in Tunisia
- Boldness, blessing, wisdom, and protection as we travel to our hotel
- Good health, attitudes, and energy
- Quick adjustment to new time zone, and a good night’s rest
- For continued closeness with God as individuals and as a team
Sunday, May 31:
Sousse – Orientation (and language training)
“Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.” (Ephesians 6:13)
- For minds ready to learn and grow with understanding
- Ability to learn language and basic communication
- Strength in the Lord and an ever increasing boldness in the gospel of Jesus, and Christian living
- Spiritual awareness and vigilance (stand firm and victorious against any spiritual warfare or attacks)
Monday, June 1:
Sousse – Church/orientation
“Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures” (Luke 24:45).
- Effective training in language and history
- Ability to witness and consider what the church lives like in a minority state, and to understand what perseverance and faith mean in those contexts where everyday living for Christ is a challenge rather than the norm
- For God to give us a better appreciation of our Christian heritage as we examine and understand one of the early strongholds of the church and a place where great historical events took place in the life of the church.
Tuesday, June 2:
Desert ‐ Historical and Cultural Training
“So we can confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?’” (Hebrews 13:6)
- That we would fear and love the Lord
- Spiritual insight into the culture of North African countries (and ability to see how that is influencing Europe and the people living there)
- To gain awareness in seeing Muslims in the majority and to see what life is truly like under that influence
- To be able to see the (Muslim) people as real people not as caricatures.
- For godly wisdom and spiritual discernment
Wednesday, June 3:
Desert – Cultural Training
“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage. As they pass through the valley of Baka, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools. (Psalm 84:5-6)
- Wisdom for Peter (our guide) and clear teaching
- That we would be springs of living water and a blessing to all we encounter
- For joy in seeing and experience God’s strength and presence with us
- For God to speak to our hearts in His plans for us
Thursday, June 4:
Sousse – Wrap up Training and Debrief
“Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets. The lion has roared – who will not fear? The Sovereign LORD has spoken – who can but prophesy? (Amos 3:7-8)
- For God to reveal himself and his plans to us during debriefing
- That we might gain a deeper level of intimacy with Christ and greater recognition for God’s sovereignty
- For boldness in proclaiming the gospel, and all that the Lord has for us to say
- Good rest at night before traveling
Friday, June 5: Travel to France
“That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ” (Ephesians 1:12).
- Opportunities to share Christ in transit
- Special blessing on Roy and Jennifer as they prepare for our arrival
- Safe flights and transport from Tunisia to Grenoble via Lyon
- Flexibility, good bonding and ability to adapt to new situation for both the Nagelkirk family and our team
- Spiritual insights and growth during our Tunisia experiences debriefing and prayer time
- Good night’s sleep!
Saturday, June 6:
Grenoble – Orientation and Training
“That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations” (Psalm 67:2).
- Clear minds to absorb training in how to reach Muslims in Grenoble
- Boldness, blessing, wisdom, and protection as we begin ministry in Marches
- Health and availability of translators as planned
- Unity of spirit and love in meeting and developing working relationships with our translators
Sunday, June 7:
Lyon – Worship, Historical Training
“O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together” (Psalm 34:3).
- Hearts to worship and celebrate our Lord with the church in Lyon
- Spiritual refreshment for all who fellowship together, that we might edify one another
- Blessings on Amitie and Bernie as they host us; that as a team we’ll be helpful and grateful
- Safety and good conversations while in transit to and from Lyon
Monday, June 8:
Training, Prayer Walking, and Outreach in La Luire and Mistral Neighborhoods
“And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel” (Ephesians 6:19).
- Effective training and outreach in La Luire
- Holy Spirit to prepare hearts of Muslims to receive the Word
- Boldness to share the gospel clearly and with love
- Opportunities to impact and encourage students in an evening outreach
Tuesday, June 9:
Outreach to Mistral Neighborhood
“And in that day shall ye say, Praise the Lord, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted” (Isaiah 12:4).
- Leading by the Holy Spirit in all our interactions
- Safety for the team and missionaries as we work among Muslim immigrants
- Effective outreach in Mistral
- Blessing on our time with Anna and Nathaniel
Wednesday, June 10:
Alps ‐ Camp of the Peaks
“And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men” (Colossians 3:23).
- Safety as we work at Camp of the Peaks
- Efficient use of our time to maximize our value to the camp
- Mutual ministry and encouragement as we work alongside other Christians
Thursday, June 11:
Prayer Walks and Outreach in Ville Neuve and Village Olympique
“Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth” (Jeremiah 33:6).
- Good rest at night and good energy during days for the team and our hosts
- Sweet spirit and a sense of unity in being the hands and feet of Jesus
- Fruitful ministry as we reach out in Ville Neuve and Village Olympique
- Receptive hearts when we give out invitations for the barbeque Sunday
Friday, June 12:
Visit Marches: St. Bruno – prayer, interaction, observation
“I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day” (2Timothy 1:3).
- Deep spiritual work in the hearts of the team and Muslims as we minister in prayer
- Fruit and good connections for future contacts at Marches: St. Bruno
- Energy to work hard and do a good job of cleaning at Mistral
Saturday, June 13:
Visit Annecy, Prepare for Departure, Debrief
“Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God” (2 Corinthians 5:20).
- Safety in travels as we visit Annecy and pack up to leave
- Consciousness on the part of the team that we are always ambassadors for Christ
- That Jesus would be our focus, motivation, and center at all times
- For Jesus to be glorified in all we say and do
Sunday, June 14:
Depart France for Grand Rapids
“And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred” (Mark 4:20).
- That the seed sown will fall on soft ground and take root
- Fruit for our Master among the Muslims that will remain
- Growth in each of our lives and a permanent increase in our commitment to living missionally
- Ability to make it promptly and meet all connections
- Safe flights home
“But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost” (Mark 13:11).
“And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I being in the way, the Lord led me” (Genesis 24:27).