Show mercy and hospitality to International members of the community
“All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, Lord; they will bring glory to your name.” (Psalm 86:9) “ And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt.” (Deuteronomy 10:19)
The International Ministry is focused on following with God as He fulfills these global and heavenly visions. We want these to be a part of our church as we reflect a more diverse community of worship, welcoming the nations and grafting them into this local body of Christ. We look forward to the Lord’s redeeming work bringing every nation, tribe, people and language together, even right here in Grand Rapids. Through acts of mercy and hospitality, Calvary has been trying to show concrete and communal expressions of Christian love to international members of the community.
There are so many wonderful experiences, languages, and cultural expressions, given by God, that are joined together within the international community. Therefore, International Ministry tries to create opportunities to be inclusive and independent, to be sound “parts” of a unit at Calvary Church, respecting the wide range of backgrounds within the community.
Ways to Get Involved:
- Monthly Fellowship Lunch for the International Community: Fellowship luncheon every second Sunday of each month in room 208 after the 10:45 am worship service.
- Small Community Groups for International Students: Students gather regularly as a small group for their spiritual growth through sermon discussion and prayer.
- Monthly Fellowship Lunch for Koreans: Fellowship luncheon for Koreans every fourth Sunday of each month in room 208 after the 10:45 am worship service.
- Sunday Worship Interpretation: The real-time interpretation in Korean is provided for the 10:45 am service in the sanctuary. Please visit the Welcome Desk to pick up a receiver.
- Manuscript Translation: Receive a copy of the sermon translated into Korean to aid in understanding the Sunday message.
- Membership Class in Korean: If you are interested in becoming a member of Calvary Church, we offer video lectures with Korean subtitles.
If you are an international student, individual, or family interested in participating in the areas listed above or would like to join us in extending God’s love to the foreigners among us, please contact Nam Kim or Lou DeGraaf.
Ways to Support:
- Sunday Morning Van Drivers:We have the opportunity to provide transportation to Calvin University international students for the second service on Sunday mornings. If you are interested in becoming a certified van driver, please contact Vida Wilson or Lou DeGraaf.
- Drivers for the international student needs: If you are willing to provide transportation for Sunday worship, airport, or grocery ride to meet the international student’s needs, we can put you on the volunteer list. Please contact Nam Kimor Lou DeGraaf.
“After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb.” (Revelation 7:9)