How will you invest your time and talents?
God has given each of us spiritual gifts, talents, and areas of passion, and He invites us to steward them well by serving His church and our broken world.
Whether it’s serving the local community through our Care Center; leading a small group for students or adults; greeting guests before a weekend service; or serving behind-the-scenes with our production teams, you can make a difference in the lives of others when you get plugged into a serving role you love. And you’ll make lasting friendships along the way. If you have any questions along the way, contact Rebekah Kennedy.
Steps to get Started:
- From the list below, prayerfully consider where you may serve.
- Complete a Volunteer Application to apply for the serving position.
- Once your application is processed, we will contact you for an interview.
- You will than receive an “approved volunteer” email with instructions on orientation to Calvary & to the new role.
- Start Serving!
Orientation of Calvary:
Once you receive your Welcome Email about starting to serve, your ministry will have some trainings set up to familiarize you with your new role. To help prepare you for your role as a volunteer, we wanted to provide you with some orientation information on Calvary. We hope the videos below will prepare you for this role and any role you may serve with Calvary in the future.
Needs of the Church
- Adopt a Room. Individual or group cleaning in the same area each week. Times and Days are available throughout the week.
- Office Detail Team. Pray for staff while detail cleaning their offices. Monday – Thursday in the evening.
- Carpet Spill Removal. Individual to use carpet machine to clean up spills and spots. Monday – Thursday, 8:30 – 3:00PM in 2 hour periods.
- Restroom Detail Team. Two person team to clean restrooms. Monday – Thursday mornings.
- Snow Removal Team. Assist on sidewalk snow removal choose one or two mornings a week.
- Grounds Equipment Care. Individual to do preventative care on lawn mowers and other grounds equipment one day a week, Monday – Thursday.
Coordinator: Ken Meines
Wednesday Night Kids-N-Action(for kids birth through 4th grade)
September 15 – April 27
6:30-7:45 (volunteers come at 6:00)
Join us on Wednesday nights as we train and encourage kids to put their faith in action! Volunteering with KNA is like spending Wednesday nights with family — we have a blast in large group lesson, our elective rotations, and small group time!
- Lil’ KNA (nursery and preschool) volunteers will get to play with littles all night!
- Room Leaders will be responsible for their small group. They will be expected to be the initiator of all small group activities and discussions, with the help of their room helpers.
- Room Helpers will have the chance to engage with the kids in their small groups and assist in all small group activities and discussions.
Coordinator: Kirsten DeMoss
Nursery-4th Grade: 10:15-12:00 pm. Volunteers can serve every week or every other week.
- Team Leaders-oversees the needs of each classroom
- Room Leader/Teacher that runs the classroom
- Room Helpers-assists room leaders
- On-call substitute volunteer
- Tech support-as needed
First Impressions Volunteers
- Welcome Team
Warmly welcome & answer questions of quests that come to worship on Sunday Morning. Serving opportunities include Greeter, Welcome Center or Connection Point.
Warmly welcome guests into the sanctuary. Assist guests to their seats.
- Parking Lot Attendants
Assist with directing traffic flow to provide order and safe entry to worshipers along with welcoming guests and alerting the safety team of any medical or security concerns.
Coordinator: Rachel Walker
Emergency Response Team
- This team includes security & medical support. A high level of observation is needed in order to maintain a safe worship environment. Additional certification may be required.
Coordinator: Don Tuuri
- Embrace Grace: This program is for single moms who have chosen life for their babies. Volunteers have the opportunity to encourage a new mom in various ways from preparing meals to participating in a baby shower. Our volunteer slots are for one semester, either for fall (Aug – Dec) or spring (Jan – May).
Coordinator: Christine Leskovar
- Prison Ministry: We are looking for pen pals! This ministry is an important opportunity to reach out to those incarcerated who want to grow in their faith and connect with fellow believers. If you would like to write notes of encouragement and share the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with a brother in need, right from your own home, then consider joining our team. We provide training and support along the way.
Coordinator: Vida Wilson
- Renew Crew: Are you handy around the house? Like to fix things or enjoy a day outside tidying up the yard? Then join our Renew Crew! We are looking for volunteers to help with trade work for example electrical, flooring, drywall as well as more general tasks including fixing doorknobs, painting, yard work, and moving furniture. If you are looking for a tangible way to make a difference in God’s kingdom.
Contact: email@example.com or call (616) 956-5648.
Serve with one of our local partners in the Grand Rapids area:
- Alpha Grand Rapids: This organization has a need for Spanish-speaking volunteers, especially volunteers who would like to meet one-on-one with a mom or dad. Mentors and coaches lend a listening ear, encouragement, and support to the wonderful parents in our Step Up Program. Training is provided to make sure you feel fully equipped before starting this important role. If you speak Spanish and want more information about volunteering, click here reach out to Alpha Grand Rapids
Urban Transformation Ministries exists to redeem inner-city youth, families and communities (specifically in the Belknap-Lookout, South Creston and Highland Park areas) with the transforming gospel of Christ and to develop leaders who will impact their neighborhood for Christ through small groups, sports and one-on-one ministry. Here are their current needs for the summer:
- Volunteers for summer programming for kids. This will be an opportunity to offer mentorship, have fun, and encourage kiddos before they had back to school in the Fall. (Contact: Rodella, program manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (616) 292-0220 or visit utmgr.org)
- UTM will be hiring between 6 and 10 teens that they are mentoring this summer to learn basic employment skills and how to fix, clean, and resell used bikes. 10 used bikes have already been donated. They are looking for at least another 300 used bikes, no matter what condition! When you clean out your garage this spring, please consider donating your old used bikes to UTM. Text Davien at 616-466-9140 to make an appointment and bring your old bikes to UTM’s storage area at New City Church.
Seventh & Eighth
- There are various needs within the 7th & 8th Ministry: Co-lead a small group, provide tech and sound support, facilitate worship, mentor a student, or host us for an event. 7th & 8th meets regularly on Wednesday evenings and events are also scheduled throughout the year.
- Coordinator: Ann Bagley
- In the high school ministry, our aim is to create a place for students to encounter Jesus, enjoy meaningful relationships with their peers, receive encouragement from older believers who are passionate about their faith, make memories that become defining moments, and embrace their place in the large church – all while having the most possible fun in community together. Leaders serve in youth group on Sundays 6:00-9:00PM. Volunteers are also encouraged to build relationships with students during events or organize hangout time with their small groups. We look forward to having you serve as a volunteer with the high school ministry or partnering with us in some other way.
- Coordinator: Josh Karhan
- Responsible for advancing video wall slides & moderating our online chat for service streamed online. Training & support will be provided. This position is for Sunday mornings.
- Coordinator: Mark Kotlarczyk
- Rehearsals for choir and orchestra are Wednesday evenings & Sunday mornings. The praise band rehearses on Thursday evenings & Saturday mornings. The team is asked to participate in both services on Sunday. There is an application, audition & short interview to participate.
- Coordinator: Christie Thompson